At this posting, we have had 3 meetings since the COVID-19 Pandemic started. We are meeting at the normal time of 7:30 pm without the enjoyment of a meal at 6:30. These are strange and difficult times. Social distancing is being observed as we sit at least 6 feet apart with masks on. For those with breathing issues, we are permitted to remove our mask while seated.
Degree work is not being conducted for obvious reasons. The business of the lodge is being handled since bills keep coming in and repairs continue to be needed.
It is very good to see our brothers and share stories of how we and our families are coping with the “new normal”.
UPDATE: our WM has notified our members of the following:
The Grand Master has sent out his ruling about our meetings. There are multiple points that he made but I will try to sum most of them up.
1) Masks are to be worn at all times
2) No dinners unless prepared somewhere else and brought in individually wrapped – I will say no dinners as it’s is too difficult to have to deal with individually wrapped meals
3) It is recommended for us to check temperatures before brothers are allowed into lodge – I will say that we WILL do this to follow his recommendation. We will have no touch forehead thermometers and anyone with a temperature over 100 degree F will NOT be allowed into lodge.
4) We will not have any degree work for a while, likely at least until the end of the year.
5) We will have no contact during opening and closing and do not need to transfer the word until at least October 28.
6) Our lodge meetings will be kept to strictly business needed for us to continue to function and we will need to keep the meetings short, we will have no guess lectures or continuing education.
7) There is to be NO balloting with the ballot box. We can discuss this more as needed.
8) We are only permitted to have examinations on Master Mason(of which we have none). All other degree catechisms will have to be postponed.
9) We are not permitted to have any family nights/gatherings unless they are outdoors and we can maintain safe distance.
10) We will have hand sanitizer(as we can find it) placed around the lodge and we will clean before and after the meetings.
These are not all of his points but the ones that I feel like are the main points.
Brethren, I know all this is a lot but we need to take these steps to make sure we are keeping each other as safe as possible. We will make it through this. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we are all trying to find the best way to navigate the times we are in now.
Our first meeting back will be Thursday, June 25th. There will be no dinner so the meeting will begin at 7:30p. If you have a concern that you would like addressed and don’t feel comfortable coming to lodge, please reach out to me or one of the officers for us to bring it up before the lodge. Big decisions that need to be made about the lodge will likely be tabled until we can reach out to members and get more input. Please let me know what concerns you may have and I look forward to getting through this with y’all and looking towards the future.
JW Johnny Carswell is planning a special dinner for our Valentines week, February 13th, meeting. He is asking that everyone bring their wives or girlfriends. There will be flowers for the ladies. He is asking that everyone RSVP for this event by Monday, February 10th so he can plan accordingly. Send all RSVP’s to Brother Johnny at 404-695-6916
Our new website was put on-line Sunday July 15th. There is much to be done yet to make it complete. Your comments and suggestions are welcomed. I will do my best in evaluating all comments and try to make our website more useful and enjoyable. Fraternally yours, Ray Bailey.
Thank you for you for voting me into the East. I look forward to being of great service to the lodge this year. Buford is an amazing lodge and we will continue to build on our solid foundation.
This year I would like to focus on community and communication. We will improve our presence in the community. This is why many of us got into Masonry and we will create opportunities to be of service to our community. A big part of our community is involving our family. Family is so important for Masonry to continue. Our families need to see the people we go to lodge with and understand the connection we have with one another. This will help the world at large to be convinced of our good effects. Communication is key to a successful year of the brethren being involved. We will focus on ensuring that the lodge knows what is planned and have plenty of time to get it scheduled.
I hope to get plenty of business done as well as have a little fun. I want everyone to look forward to coming to lodge and seeing our brothers. We will complete our business and also leave with something new that we might not have known before.
The officers of Buford lodge are excited and I look forward to this year with such a strong team. The officers have many ideas that we are going to try. We will continue to improve ourselves and set Buford for more successful years to come.